Culture and attractions
Wolfsthurn Castle – South Tyrolean Museum of Hunting and Fishing
The mighty Wolfsthurn Castle towers above the village of Mareit (Mareta). Since 1996 it has been the home of the South Tyrol Museum of Hunting and Fishing, a branch of the Provincial Museum of Ethnography in Dietenheim (Teodone). The exhibition area is found on three floors. In addition to hunting and fishing in their cultural and historical perspectives, the itinerary also leads through the opulent rooms of the castle that have been preserved in their original condition, providing a view of the life of the nobility from the 18th and 19th cen. Instructional activities take place in the basement. A path of around 1 km. (2/3 mile) on the topic of woods and water leads from the village to the castle. It is accessible for wheelchairs.
Multscher Museum and Sterzing Municipal Museum
The Multscher Museum is located in the former hospice of the German Order. It contains sections of the famous late Gothic altar by Hans Multscher of Ulm. The Sterzing (Vipiteno) Municipal Museum at the same location displays historical maps, views of the city, historical documents, and local handicraft.
South Tyrol Museum of Mining - Mining World Ridnaun Schneeberg
On the Schneeberg mountain, the highest mine in Europe has been nearly completely preserved. What is therefore also unique in all of Europe is the comprehensive view of 800 years of lasting mining history. In Ridnaun (Ridanna), the 200 m. (200 yard) exhibition shaft shows ore removal methods from the Middle Ages up to the present day. Here, the original equipment from the 1920s, which is still capable of functioning today, provides a realistic impression of the ore processing. The history of mining and the life of the miners are documented in the worker's residence. The visit turns into an adventure with a seven hour tour by day or a complete day tour (ten hours) on the Schneeberg mountain. The area on the Passeier Valley side consists of the miner's settlement St. Martin am Schneeberg (2,355 m. / 7,726 ft.) and the former mine area. The manor house and the old miner's house were converted into a hiker's refuge with 100 bed spaces. The old smithy houses an exhibition area. Various hikes and tours are also offered from this side of the mining area.
Castel Tasso/Reifenstein Castle
Castel Tasso is a castle situated southwest of Vipiteno/Sterzing, on a towering rocky hill. While a simple circular wall borders the southern end of the castle, there is a complex outer bailey to the north with pointed arches, a restored portcullis, wall-walks, crenels, and sash windows. Today, an historical bridge still leads over the deep moat between the outer bailey and the main castle. Situated near the castle is a little church, St. Zeno, which was first documented in 1330. Bajuwaric tree coffins dating from the fourth to eighth century A.D. were discovered at St. Zeno, which is not open to the public.
The fortress of Franzensfeste was built according to the latest designs of military architecture in 1833–1838 and ranked among the strongest fortresses in the Alpine region. The structure is a gigantic labyrinth of rooms, corridors and stairways that covers an area of over 20 ha.